Monday, August 22, 2011

What is it about those box mixes

 

that always seem so intriguing?

I’ll be the first to admit they could be a frugal DOWNFALL for me.  I cannot seem to pass one of those fun boxes without saying “Oh look honey, _______ bread mix”.  (Insert pumpkin, banana, chocolate chip, or any other type of quick bread mix).

I did buy one that makes two loaves of pumpkin bread at a Bent N Dent for $1.00.


                           source

Before I went gluten-free.

It’s been sitting in our pantry, hanging out for quite a while.  We did a basement clean-up on Saturday.  We had our house insulated in July (Our home was built in 1952 and did not have newer insulation.  It made for very cold winters and very hot summers) and they had us move all our stuff away from the basement walls so they could insulate the foundation.  Our basement is our storage area so we had a lot of stuff all in the middle of one room.

So we organized, decided what to donate and purged the pantry of expired items.  Most stuff in my pantry is canned goods, but there were a few things from my gluten days ($0.50 boxes of Hamburger Helper, Regular Pasta, and some baking mixes).  I purged what was expired, maybe only 2 boxes, gave other stuff to family members and decided to bake the mixes for Hubs to take to work.

I started thinking about it thought.  I paid $1.00 for this mix, it included a can of pumpkin and the dry ingredients.  I had to add 4 eggs, 1/2 c oil and 1 c water.  I’m sure it was a bargain compared to buying 2 loaves of pumpkin bread from a bakery or restaurant, but it was a waste for me.  We grow our own pumpkins most seasons (we took this year off because Bear was going through a rough time) so I have TONS of frozen pumpkin.  I can’t imagine that flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder would equal $1.00 for me.  

Also, I ALMOST let it expire.  Because that’s what happens for me.  It draws me in to to the ease and convenience, then sits in my pantry out of sight, out of mind.

Do you have any items that could be a frugal downfall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...