Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What's cookin Wednesday-Gluten-Free

Tonight is my "Famous" (in the eyes of my husband) Barbecue Chicken. We are possibly having 5 adults and 2 children at dinner tonight so I went with boneless chicken for convenience.  It was on sale for $1.88/lb.  Also, this recipe freezes great if there are any leftovers.  What makes so different than the rest?  Marinating and RED onion.

-boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used about 5lbs because that's how much was in my package and Hubs will bring the rest for lunch tomorrow)
-1 large red onion (mine was .68lb)
-1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's because it's gluten-free)

Slice onion into rings.  Take a container that will fit all your chicken and has a lid.  I used a Rubbermaid container like this.  Spread some barbecue sauce in the bottom and put half your chicken in.  Lay half your onion slices and spread barbecue sauce over chicken and onions.  Repeat with rest of chicken and onions so you have two layers.

Put lid on and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours,  I usually let mine sit for about 4-6 hours,

When ready to cook, preheat grill (don't forget to oil your grates) and cook chicken for about 15-20 minutes, or until no longer pink (this time varies greatly by how large and thick your chicken is).  I usually cook the onions for about 10 minutes until they're soft and serve over the chicken.

We will be having this with frozen corn (I froze this last year) and salad.  This meal cost me $14.98 (not including salad dressing).  Here is my cost broken down. I do prorate it for times I buy an item and use half for one dinner and half for another. 

Chicken @ 1.88/lb -$8.48
BBQ Sauce - $1.82
Bag of salad 2/3.28-$1.64
Cucumber-$0.98
Tomatoes-$1.25
Red Onion-$1.01

Total=$14.98

Or just $2.14/person.  This is assuming there are no leftovers, but I'm sure there will be at least one serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...