Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Whole30: Day 2

Breakfast:  2-3 eggs (again I shared with Bear, who knows how much I actually got)
Snack:  palmful of cashews
Lunch:  Salad with grilled chicken, hardboiled eggs, and homemade dressing
Snack:  Banana.  Hubs got home late from after work errands and I was so hungry. 
Dinner:  Grilled chicken with homemade cranberry sauce (DO NOT TRY THIS! CRANBERRY SAUCE WITHOUT SUGAR IS AWFUL), brussel sprouts and salad

We ate late so I didn’t need an after dinner snack.

Today was awful.  I have a full on fiber bloat, and my belly is just uncomfortable.  I woke up with a MASSIVE headache rivaling that of college’s Thirsty Thursday aftermath.  I took some Advil and just got on with the day.

I truly felt like a drug addict.  I KNEW my headache was because of the sugar withdrawal, and I knew that sugar would cure the awfulness.  It was an odd position to be in.  It’s amazing how easily it is to become addicted to things when you’re not truly aware. 

6 years ago (oh my gosh, I can’t believe it’s that long) I underwent major surgery.  Post op I was prescribed massive painkillers to get through the LONG recovery period.  It was awful, I had surgery on my chest and it was January and then I developed pneumonia and they wanted to me to cough constantly to clear my lungs out.  I took one long inhale on the incentive spirometer and almost passed out from the pain.  In the following weeks the pain quickly lessened but now I was in a doze-all-day-watch-TV-all-night stupor.  I clearly remember the moment that I went to take a painkiller to “help me sleep at night”.  It instantly smacked me in the face, that this is the moment that addictions are born.  I quickly put away the painkillers and watched awful late night TV and sucked it up. 

It was amazing to be back in a similar position, but not because of controlled substances, because of sugar.

Another part of my problem, is that we ate dinner at 3PM yesterday.  We stayed up late watching Parenthood and 8 hours with only an apple and then to make it through the night was just too long with too little.  Today I upped my food amount to kind of balance yesterday and to jump start my metabolism.
Hopefully tomorrow I start feeling like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...