Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Whole30: Take 2

 

Yes, yes I know I wrote that I was supposedly doing a Whole30 months ago.  Then Hurricane Sandy hit and Hubs was out of work all week.  We decided to take the boys back to the Midwest for a visit and about 2 days in we cracked.  It’s very difficult to stick to the rigid diet requirements when you can’t do any of your own meal preparation or cooking.  And being in a dairy and potato area (no joke, we stayed with a family of potato farmers) it’s next to impossible to avoid those ingredients.

 

So we gave up with the intention of restarting after Thanksgiving.  But then, I wanted to make Christmas cookies and Monkey was sleeping awful so I was drinking plenty of coffee with lots of creamer.

 

And then we decided to start after Christmas, but again we would have tons of Christmas leftovers and plenty of treats to eat.  So I set a deadline to stop the bargaining process.

 

January 1, new year, new diet, new us.

 

So today was Day 1.

 

Breakfast:  half of a pear

Lunch:    1.5-2 eggs (Bear ate most of mine then wouldn’t touch what we made him so it was somewhere around that much) and a pile of Kale sautéed in garlic and EVOO

Dinner:  Roasted cauliflower, ham, kielbasa and roasted sweet potato with cinnamon.

Snack:  Apple with macadamia nut butter (oh my gosh it’s so good)

 

Tonight I tried Macadamia nut butter.  I actually bought it for our last attempt at the Whole30 after I realized I wasn’t head over heels in love with almond butter.  And it’s fantastic. It’s ridiculously expensive so I only had about a teaspoon sized serving.

 

Today has been very hard.  Last time Day 1 wasn’t so difficult, but we hadn’t been eating cookies like they were Twinkies.

I’ve been having major sugar cravings and I’ve been really hungry ALL DAY.  I’ve also been tired and crabby.  Hubs said he had a headache all day, he’s been really tired and craving sweets.

Last time we made it about 7 days.  We’ll see if we make it farther this time.

For the rest of the week I premade smoothies yesterday and put them in freezer bags and froze them.  I used strawberries, blueberries, mixed fruit, berry medley, spinach, orange juice, carrot juice and coconut milk.  Unfortunately our avocados weren’t ripe enough to throw in, but I put a whole bag of baby spinach in like 5 smoothies so there is some greens to it. 

I’m hoping this boost of nutition will boost our immune systems.  We’ve all been sick since about Thanksgiving.  Bear can’t get rid of his double ear infections and nasty cough.  Monkey, has the runny nose, Hubs and I are still getting over this.  My ears are clogged solid.  And now Grandma and Granddad are fighting off the same cold too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...