Sunday, January 20, 2013

Whole30: Days 18, 19 and 20

 

This weekend has flown by.  Maybe it’s the hyper vigilance I’ve been paying to Bear after his seizure or that I feel more in the moment, but I feel like it was just Thursday night.

 

Friday Hubs went to work all day and I made him a good breakfast before he left.  For dinner we had grilled chicken, applesauce, roasted sweet potatoes and roasted beets.

 

Saturday was family day.  My mom, Hubs, Bear, Monkey and I headed out to pick up their medicine and then we went to a winter farmer’s marker.  I bought some Grass fed ground beef and a london broil  We also got organic parsnips, carrots, and brussel sprouts so fresh they’re still on the vine.  We also had our first experience eating out.  We ordered burgers served on lettuce with fresh fruit and it was very good.  Except they put the burger on a slice of toast so we just put it aside and ate the rest.  For supper I made chicken meatloaf and spinach salad (another fancy name for raw spinach with salad dressing.   While we were at lunch Hubs received a call from the doctor stating that his bloodwork came back positive for MONO!!!

 

Sunday we opted not to go to church because of Hubs’ Mono and because we’re to wary to leave Bear in a new nursery after the seizure incident.  I ran some errands for Monkey’s formula and to Trader Joe’s.  We were completely out of coconut milk.  I made Crockpot Carnitas for supper.

 

 

Crockpot Carnitas

pork roast (mine was about 2-3 lbs)

1 tbsp kosher salt,

1 tbsp cumin

1 tbsp cinnamon

1 tsp garlic powder

juice of 1 lime

juice of 1 orange

 

Combine seasoning in dish and rub over pork.  Place pork in crockpot and pour lime juice and orange juice around it.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

 

I served it on romaine lettuce with avocado and tomatillo salsa.

 

TIPS:  I did not have fresh limes so I used the lime juice in the little bottle.  I added about 3-4 Tbsp of juice.  I also didn’t feel like peeling an orange so I used about 1/4 cup of Simply Orange Juice with Pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...